Dated: October 21, 2021
Press Release: Save Hindus in Bangladesh- We Demand Justice
Human Rights Center for Bangladesh (HRCB) is very concerned on the lynching of Hindu devotees and destruction of Puja Mandaps (Temples) by violent mobs in different parts of Bangladesh during the celebration of Durga Puja. HRCB condemns the gruesome murder of Hindu devotees as they were celebrating their biggest religious festival – Durga Puja 2021. We condemn the cycle of violence against Hindus and other minorities of Bangladesh.
Attacks by Muslim religious fanatics during Durga Puja in parts of Bangladesh have left at least four people dead and 70 others injured-
- Jatan Saha: On the afternoon of October 15, Jatan was killed when Hindu temples in Noakhali’s Begumganj upazila were attacked. He was beaten to death.
- Pranta Chandra Das was killed on Oct 15 and his body was dumped in the pond next to ISKCON temple at Noakhali’s Begumganj.
- Moloy Krishna Das, a member of ISKCON, Noakhali- beaten to death
- Manik Saha died in an attack on Lakshmi Narayan Jiu Akhra at Hajiganj in Chandpur
- The attackers vandalized, torched and looted 70 puja venues, 30 homes and 50 shops
- Criminals set fire to some houses of Hindu community in at least three villages of Rangpur. The arson took place in Majhipara, Bottola and Hatibandha villages of Ramnathpur union of the district’s Pirganj upazila.
We demand that the government of Bangladesh-
- bring the killers of innocent Hindu Minorities to justice and give the criminals exemplary punishment,
- trail of criminals who injured devotees, vandalized temples, burned houses and shops of Hindu minorities,
- provide monetary compensations to the families of victims who are lynched by mobs or injured,
- provide funds (for rebuilding) to temples those are destroyed or damaged by violent mobs,
- prompt action from Police and Administration to protect Hindu minority homes, properties, and their places of worship,
- uphold the basic rights of minorities so that they can celebrate their religious event without fear,
- create a government commission to track hate crimes against minorities (past and present and future) in Bangladesh and make the reports available publicly
We call upon President Joseph Biden, US Congress, US Senate and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to issue a statement condemning the attacks on Hindus in Bangladesh. Please send your delegation to Bangladesh and demand prompt actions from the government of Bangladesh to protect Hindu minorities.
HRCB Executive Committee
Human Rights Center for Bangladesh (HRCB) | HRCB.org | email@example.com